Saturday, March 14, 2009

My First Quilt



My sister-in-law quilts, and I made my first attempt at quilting in early 2006. I got sick of cutting out triangles and then I got busy with real-life obligations, so I never did finish that quilt. I took up quilting again in fall 2008 when I decided to make a quilt to put on the bed for the holidays. With Ellen's support and encouragement, I finished this quilt in November. The pattern is from http://www.byannie.com/ and it uses a single block strip-pieced from fat quarters. It was a great quilt for a beginner -- fast and easy. I quilted in the ditch around the big blocks; I was in a hurry to get it done (and quilting for the first time was hard enough without trying anything fancy). I did all the piecing and quilting by machine. The pillow shams are made from the backing fabric, which is also included in some of the blocks in the quilt.

1 comment:

Abby said...

I've enjoyed looking at your quilting pursuits! You've got a lot on your plate right now (5 quilts!??!) Can't wait to see them all! Great to meet you tonight!