Thursday, May 21, 2009

Patchwork Towels & Pretty Cards

I did get the Mother's Day project done in time for Mother's Day, although I did not get it posted as quickly as I had originally planned. (This is going to become a theme for me: Not getting things done as quickly as I thought.)


I made patchwork kitchen towels for my mom and my mother-in-law following this tutorial from Sew Mama Sew. I bought 4-5 fat quarters in assorted colors (red, yellow, and blue to match my mom's kitchen, and tan, cream, and turquoise to match my mom-in-law's new spring kitchen decor) and I found a pack of 6 flour sack towels at Target. I couldn't find plain white waffle weave towels to save my life, but the flour sack towels worked out OK. Most importantly, my mom's set was done in enough time for me to mail the towels via regular mail and still have them get there on time. Pretty exciting!


Here's my mom's set:







And my mom-in-law's set:







I also made cards for our moms and my grandmas. The cards for the moms were blue with ink to match their towels (my mom's in red, his mom's in brown) and the cards for the grandmas were pink with hot pink ink. I used the same stamps on all 4 cards: I used a cherry blossom stamp from Paper Source several times on the front to get an all-over pattern, and then I used a set of stamps (one Happy stamp and one Mother's Day) for the inside/back of the card.


Here are the mom cards (the outside of my mom's card and the inside of his mom's -- both cards had the same design, just in different colors):






Here's the front of the grandma cards:







And the back of the grandma cards:













Turns out that the grandma cards were flat cards, not folded cards as I thought when I bought them, and I somehow got ink on the back of one of them, so I covered it up with a big decorative scroll-type stamp. The other one ended up being vertical instead of horizontal because I get ink on it, too, but the Mother's Day stamp covered it up. Despite these little eccentricities, I like the way they turned out!

No comments: