Saturday, May 2, 2009

Dabbling vs Immersion

My last post probably made it pretty obvious that I am a dabbler. I like to try a lot of things, and while I don't exactly get bored with them, and I don't quite quit them, it seems like I'm always trying something new and leaving the older things on the back burner.

So I've got quilts working and knitting projects working, and I've been making cards, and now I have a new project going for Mother's Day (assuming I get it done in time, I'll share it next weekend). Oh yeah, and I did go ahead and start a new quilt this week, although I just have one block mostly pieced so far, and I don't plan to have that one done for a while yet.

I know some people really immerse themselves in a hobby, learning all the details, perfecting their techniques, and becoming true experts. That is not my style, though!

Although I have to admit that doing something is always hardest the first time you try it, and if I try too many new things, I am doomed to a life of first tries. It sure is nice to do something you've already done before and are comfortable doing.

Case in point: It took me 5 (OK more like 10) minutes to remember how to use my sewing machine on Wednesday night because I hadn't sewed with it in a while and somehow I always forget to put the presser foot down (my other machine does it automatically but this one doesn't) and then I end up with a tangle of thread and if I sewed more often I wouldn't have this learning curve each time I sat down at the machine.

And yet I have to be perfectly honest here and say that now I'm not going to go sew but instead make some Mother's Day cards. I can't explain myself, but, hey, it's fun!

No comments: