Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sampler Block #2

This is the second block from my sampler quilt. This one is called Wyoming Valley, and it also includes a ton of half-square triangles. I'm not quite as happy with how this block turned out; it's pretty lopsided.





And the points aren't nearly as sharp as I would have hoped. I was a little disappointed when I got it all finished; somehow the individual rows didn't look too bad until the whole thing was assembled.

It took me a little while to figure out what happened, but I think the problem lies in a lack of consistency with the 1/4" seams between each of the pieces (as opposed to a problem with cutting the pieces correctly, for example). I sewed some of the pieces using my sister-in-law's sewing machine, some of them using my sewing machine, and some of them using my sewing machine with a different foot on it. And clearly those seams all came out just a little bit different, and so the block as a whole came out pretty wonky.

I will probably re-do it before I finish the quilt, but I was pretty frustrated with it after getting to this point, so I'm going to wait and work on it later. Despite my frustration, I can definitely say this was a good learning experience! And that was part of the point of making this sampler quilt -- to learn -- so it was time well spent!

No comments: