Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sampler Block #3

Here's the 3rd block. This one is called Devil's Claws. I am super excited with how this one turned out.






This block has several flying geese units, which are sections with 2 triangles are pieced onto a rectangle to make a unit of 3 triangles. There are also 4 squares with triangles pieced onto the outer edges, so this block (like the others) required a bunch of piecing.

I learned my lesson from the 2nd block, and I was careful to piece the entire block with the same sewing machine (and no changing presser feet, either).I have a 1/4" piecing foot on the machine, and it really seemed to help me keep the seams even and consistent. Of the 3 blocks, this one is definitely closest to being square -- which they are all supposed to be!

I also really like the colors on this one. I'm not normally a huge fan of sweet pastels, but I think these fabrics all work so well together, and plus they fit in with the 30s theme of this quilt.

I'm just so happy with how much better this block looks than the last one. I'm making progress!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I am so ridiculously behind . . . but this block looks AWESOME! Keep it up!

Beth said...

Thanks! But at least we don't really have a deadline for this one! I figure it'll be done when it's done. :)