Thursday, July 23, 2009

New Quilt: Clay's Choice

Now that the sunflower quilt is finally done, I've started on a new one. This one is called Clay's Choice, and I got the pattern out of this book. The sample quilt in the book features navy blue, bright red, and white fabrics -- very patriotic. When my husband and I went to pick out fabric, however, we couldn't find what we wanted in that color scheme, so we went with a deeper red, dusty blue, and soft tan with blue flowers. The effect is a bit more muted but still lovely.

Here's the first block:


We scaled up the pattern so it will fit our queen-sized bed. When I say we, I mean my husband did it -- he drew out the updated pattern on graph paper and calculated how much fabric we would need for the larger size. He's a great quilting assistant!
There are now 30 blocks in this quilt plus 3 borders, and so far I have just 2 blocks done, but I'm hoping I can get this quilt finished in time for Labor Day. We'll see how it goes, but I'm definitely thinking this may be my last queen-size quilt for a while! I'm looking forward to making a nice throw or 2...

No comments: