Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sunflower Quilt

As promised, here is a picture of the quilt I finished a few weeks ago.

I really love this quilt! For one thing, I just love the fabrics. Plus, this is the first time I had done "real" binding, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. This is also the first time I tried free-motion quilting, and I'm fairly happy with the results I got. The large sunflower blocks are qulited around the flowers, and the pieced blocks are quilted in a large meandering swirl sort of pattern. The first couple blocks came out a little rough, but I'm really pleased with how the last blocks turned out. I think I'm getting the hang of it!

The sunflower fabrics, plus the dark blue and the blue-and-yellow stripe fabrics, are from a collection by Timeless Treasures that I found in my local quilt shop. I can't remember who makes the yellow and green fabrics, but I know they weren't part of the same collection.

The quilt is queen-sized. I used the Just Can't Cut It pattern from All Washed Up on the recommendation of the ladies in the quilt shop. I wanted something fast and easy, and I wanted to be able to show off the large sunflower print, and this pattern fit the bill. I did end up having to adjust it a little bit because I did not have enough fabric to make the outer borders as wide as the pattern called for; I cut them in half, which gave me plenty of fabric and still left the quilt plenty big to fit on my bed.

I'm so excited to have this quilt finished! It's so bright and cheerful. I just love it!