Monday, August 24, 2009

Iraqi Bundles of Love

I first read about this project on Ellen's blog and thought it sounded really cool. Basically, a soldier stationed in Iraq noticed that the local folks had a strong tradition of making handcrafted goods but badly needed sewing and knitting supplies, and he asked people to send over "bundles" of excess fabric and other supplies for his unit to distribute to the locals. Since I'm such a new quilter, I don't really have much of a stash yet (although I'm definitely working on it) and I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to put anything together by the September 7 deadline.

Then I saw Sew Mama Sew's post about Iraqi Bundles of Love and noticed that they are selling "bundles" through their online store. For $15, you can buy a bundle, which they will ship to Iraq for you. The $15 includes fabric, sewing needles, pins, scissors, a pincushion -- and shipping to Iraq. It's the perfect way to contribute if you can't put your own bundle together. What a wonderful project -- and 2 great ways to help out!

No comments: