Friday, August 7, 2009

Sampler Block #4

It's finished! This is the aptly named Basket and Birds block. The basket is pieced (more tiny triangles!) and the birds and flower are applique.



This was my first foray into applique. I fused the birds and flower to the background and then handstitched around them with a blanket stitch. I really like the fabrics in this block but I had to borrow the dark green for the flower stem and leaves from Ellen; my growing stash of 30s fabric does not include dark greens!

This block seemed to take absolutely forever to finish, but I eventually started to enjoy sewing by hand. Now I want to do more hand sewing -- and it turns out that the September block of the month for the Garland Quilt Guild is an applique pattern using 30s fabrics... That just might be the perfect (small) project to start for those times when I'm away from my machine and want something to sew!

No comments: